Along with Outlook account, you can set up and use other email accounts in Outlook. You can link Outlook with different email accounts such as Gmail, and handle all your emails in one place. So, before you change the Outlook account password, determine the account you’re using in Outlook. If you have not linked any account with Outlook, then you need to change your Microsoft account in order to change the password of your Outlook account. In this guide, you’ll learn about changing the password of Outlook linked accounts, and Outlook (Microsoft) account.
Changing the password of Outlook linked accounts
Though, you can change the password of the account linked to Outlook from their own password reset page. But, if you want to change the password that you use to access that email services in Outlook (App passwords), then you can reset it directly from the Outlook app. Here is how.
- Open your Outlook app.
- And, click ‘File’ at the top left corner.
- Click ‘Info’ in the popup menu. This will open the account information section.
In Outlook 2003, you need to click on ‘Tools’ and then click on ‘E-mail Accounts’ in the popup menu.
4. Open the ‘Account Settings’ menu and then click on ‘Account Settings.“ Doing so displays all the accounts linked to Outlook.
In Outlook 2003, click on ‘View or change existing email accounts.’
5. Look for the account whose Outlook password you want to change and select it.
Note: This will not change the actual password of the linked email account. If you want to change the sign-in password of the account, then visit the password-resetting page of that email service.
- After selecting the account, click on the ‘Change’ button. This will show you the information of the selected account.
- Go to the Logon Information section, and click inside the ‘Password’ field.
- Now, enter the password into it.
- Click ‘Next.’
The changes in the password will be saved. Now, Outlook will attempt to access the account with your provided password. If everything is fine, Congratulations! message will appear.
Changing the password of your Outlook Account (Microsoft)
The password of your Outlook, Live, and Hotmail email is the password of your Microsoft account. As all of these accounts need the Microsoft account for signing in. Therefore, to change the Outlook account’s password, you’ll need to reset the password of your Microsoft account. Hence, this will change the password of the entire services associated with Microsoft, such as your Windows, Xbox Live, as well as Skype password. If you are sure about changing the password of your Outlook (Microsoft) account, then here is the procedure.
- Go to ‘account.live.com/password/reset’ to access the password-resetting page of Microsoft.
- Click ‘I forgot my password’ option and proceed with ‘Next.’
- Now, provide the email of your Outlook (Microsoft) account and enter the correct captcha.
- Click ‘Next.’
- Now, select an option to verify your identity and proceed.
- Fill up the security code, which Microsoft has sent you to verify that it’s you.
- Click ‘Next.’ Reset your password form comes up on the screen.
- Now, enter and confirm your new password and save.
The password of your Outlook account will be changed. Thus, the password for Microsoft and complete Microsoft associated services has been changed. Now, you’ll need to use this password to access your Outlook account as well as other Microsoft services.
Kellie Minton arrived on the cyber security scene in the early 2000s when virus and malware were still new and slowly evolving. Her longtime affair with writing with an interest in the cybersecurity industry, combined with her IT degree, has contributed to experience several aspects of security suite industry such as blogging at norton.com/setup.